Monday, August 11, 2014

Reflection Post for EME 2040

It is hard to believe that this class is already coming to an end. I can confidently say that I feel more knowledgeable about using technology in the classroom than I did before this class. I have been able to use different resources and assignments to help understand how to use technology in my classroom.

Textbook: I found the textbook, Transforming Learning with New Technologies, to be very helpful with this course. Each chapter taught an important concept for teachers to use while incorporating technology into the curriculum. The digital badge assignments allowed us to choose 3 important points from each chapter and elaborate on the key concepts. This was beneficial because it allowed us to really focus on the main messages from each chapter and document them for later use. The chapters were easy to read with bolded/colored labels. Each chapter also included colorful pictures, tables, graphs, and vocabulary terms.

Discussions: The discussion posts were created to allow each student to personally reflect and research about a certain topic. I liked comparing other students’ discussion posts with my own. It was interesting to read their thoughts and to share different ideas on a certain topic. For example, the last discussion post we had required that we discuss accommodation strategies for our students. I liked looking at other people’s ideas and their reasons for choosing their strategies. This assignment followed the learning outcome: students will evaluate and critique legal and ethical issues for using technology in the K-12 classroom. By commenting to other students posts, we were able to evaluate what was said about the topic and add to the other students reasoning.

Activities/Assignments:  The first assignment that we had was the website evaluation and critique. I thought this was a great website because we discussed how to determine whether or not a website was valid and appropriate. This followed the following learning outcome: the students will evaluate and critique various software and hardware tools to determine utility in a K-12 setting. The instructional strategy wiki assignment was a group assignment. This assignment allowed each group member to cover an instructional strategy by Marzano. It was a great assignment because we were learning and collaborating ideas at the same time. It was my first time using a Wiki and I really enjoyed the outcome of my group’s project. This assignment followed the following learning objective: the students will create a portfolio with samples reflecting ways technology can support classroom management, administration, and teaching in a K-12 classroom. All of the strategies that were used in the Wiki assignment covered this learning outcome. The webquest assignment is a great tool to allow students to work on a lesson plan using the internet technology to do so. Webquests are great teaching tools because there is so much that you can add to each page. There is also a teacher version of the webquest. The Lesson plan assignment was another group project that allowed 3 members to collaborate and create a multiple-day lesson plan. I was able to work with two other members who enjoyed social studies as much as I did. The following learning outcome was reached: students will analyze and evaluate a selection of technological tools for assisting English language learners and linking technology to strategies for teaching these students. We were able to come up with strategies for helping students that were English language learners. Overall, all of these assignments helped to encourage the use of technology in our future classrooms.

Here is a video on how to create your own WebQuest:



Resources/Websites: Each module shared helpful links to websites, videos, images, and other websites to help assist our understanding of each section. The tutorial videos for how to create our own blogger and how to use rubistar were the most helpful. I have never used any of these programs and now feel more confident after taking this class.

One of my favorite resources that I used was in Module 2 about using Rubistar. Here is a tutorial on how to create your own Rubric.




There is not much that I would change for this course. I feel like I did a pretty good job considering that this is my first pre-requisite teaching course and my first technology based class. I have learned information that will help with my other pre-requisite classes and when I start a teaching program. I plan to definitely use technology in my future classroom.


Resources

Maloy, R., O’Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment